Psychology and the science of listening.

• Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Recently, it was brought to my attention that people in the sound and engineering department, if not other related scientists, believe, obviously due to misconceptions that Psychology and Psychiatry are not equal to or better in their specific areas.

Both use scientific methodologies, and both have countable and uncountable variants.

Psychologist may seem on television to be people who work with people on a couch and them making drawings, but this is not the case in reality.

Batteries of very scientific tests are given in various conditions, history is kept and although a sound engineer or for that matter any science may work with wires or metals, it does not mean that the neural network of the brain is not as important, if more so, than any other science.

If it were otherwise, then we would all have one speaker, which would make all of us happy, and that would be it. It is psychology and the science of anatomy of the hypothalamus, the cochlea, and many other different psycho physical dynamics which interact with wires and sound waves, watts and room corners which makes our hobby so interesting.

Pure and basic research psychologists work on finding drugs for the ill prepared or unfortunate. The fact that statistics are used, as any other science proves that it is not a social science or SOFT science, but of the hardest core sciences.

Take marketing for example. What is that? Take aesthetics of a speaker? What is that? Take the feelings of a listener? What is that? These are just a few of the things which psychology has to offer to our hobby.

Not to mention millions of other patients worldwide being helped for much more serious things in life.

So when the question arises if Psychiatry or Psychology is a hard core science with pure and basic research, with statistics, with methodologies and with strict guidelines, then please thing again.

In reality, nothing can be more valuable than being fluent in both sciences. I am lucky enough to have all of you who have this knowledge. I wish you feel the same now towards what psychology has to offer.

By far this is an incomplete marker or better said, TAG of a conversation, it is endless on my part but I just wanted to make a small point that I found very interesting to see others completely disregard.

1  10 Sep 2010  
  • Manos_Bits

Manos_Bits

Chairman Administrator

Everyone who has spent many many years studying in a university and has written works and has got diplomas and masters is deeply respected as a scientist...

Science is not only maths and chemistry... Philosophy is the greatest science of all and has not to do with numbers...

We are made of water mind and spirit fellows... We use that mind to understand science and make technical miracles... We use that spirit to love... We use mind and spirit to control emotions... to inspire and been inspired... To listen to hear to get impressed and depressed...

2  14 Sep 2010  
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved