The Ten Most Significant Turntables of All Time

• Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

For our special analog-focus issue, I asked our staff and senior writers to name and rank the ten turntables that have had the greatest impact on high-end audio. This isn’t a list of the best-sounding turntables, but those that introduced new techniques, influenced other designs, achieved wide commercial success, or represented a performance breakthrough at the time. I then tallied the votes from each writer to arrive at the final list and ranking of the Ten Most Significant Turntables of All Time. Each contributor’s own list appears at the end of this article. Harry Pearson’s list, along with extended commentary on his choices, appears in this issue’s HP’s Workshop. Let the controversy begin!

Source: AV Guide

1  17 Oct 2011  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Great find Mike. I totally enjoyed the pick, although I would have included more TT's. For example the Verdier table.

I am surprised you even read about turn tables since you don't even own one!

2  18 Oct 2011  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

As you probably noticed Tony it is not only about the Best Turntables but the also those that played a significant role in history! Good article though!

3  18 Oct 2011  
  • audiopharaoh62

audiopharaoh62

Registered

Mikekan wrote:
    For our special analog-focus issue, I asked our staff and senior writers to name and rank the ten turntables that have had the greatest impact on high-end audio. This isn’t a list of the best-sounding turntables, but those that introduced new techniques, influenced other designs, achieved wide commercial success, or represented a performance breakthrough at the time. I then tallied the votes from each writer to arrive at the final list and ranking of the Ten Most Significant Turntables of All Time. Each contributor’s own list appears at the end of this article. Harry Pearson’s list, along with extended commentary on his choices, appears in this issue’s HP’s Workshop. Let the controversy begin!
    Source: AV Guide

If I may, I'd like to include the Technics SL-10 if not from the sonical perspective then from the fact that it was the first Linear Tracking turntable to hit the market back in the late 70's. Bang & Olufsen had one as well that was featured in the '78 'Dawn Of The Dead' zombie movie

Another two also worth remembering are the Dragon and TX-1000 from Nakamichi..One of which was featured in a scene from the Robert Redford movie 'Indecent Proposal' ..Landmarks in their own right

4  22 Oct 2011  
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved