Atma-Sphere • MA-2 Mk 3.1 Mono Amplifiers

• Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Introduction

An output-transformerless (OTL) amplifier has to vex some audiophiles and engineers alike those who cling desperately to the notion that there is a single unerring "proper" way to design an audio amplifier. On the one hand there is the dictum that fewer parts are best for sound, and that must go double when it comes to eliminating a component as dominating as the output transformer. On the other hand is the notion that the output transformer is of absolute primacy akin to wheels on a car. Without it, there is nothing smoothing out the amplifier's impedance and making the mating of amp and speaker possible.

Conclusion

Early on in this review, I discussed my personal list of the very best amplifiers I've heard, reiterating the diversity of amplifier technology in the process. To get specific, I'd choose two solid-state amps (the Ayre MX-R and Luxman B-1000f monoblocks) and three tube amps (the Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 stereo amp, the Lamm ML3 monoblocks and the subject of this review). These represent a cross-section of amplifier technology: high-power solid state, high-power tubes, single-ended tubes and output transformerless. I didn't assemble this particular list in order to prove my egalitarianism; I simply collected the five amps I've heard and admired most. I could have expanded it to ten amps, but that would only cloud the issue by sending the message that "best" is a more elusive goal.

Keeping the notion of "best" in mind, let's say that I don't have the luxury of picking five amps. I have to choose just one -- the amp that will be the conduit through which all of my music, digital and analog, passes. Which will it be? Solid-state or tubes? Push-pull or single ended?

Give me OTL in the form of the MA-2 Mk 3.1s, and I'll live musically ever after.

Source & Complete Review: theaudiobeat

1  14 Oct 2011  
  • kotsidisjohn

kotsidisjohn

ACA Member

Τα χτυπαω η δεν τα χτυπαω τωρα???

2  14 Oct 2011  
  • Manos_Bits

Manos_Bits

Chairman Administrator

χτύπα τα johnny boy...

αλήθεια... πόσο???

3  14 Oct 2011  
  • jadis_boy

jadis_boy

ACA Member

kotsidisjohn wrote:
    Τα χτυπαω η δεν τα χτυπαω τωρα???

Κατσε μωρε αμεσως τα χτυπαω
    Ε αντε χτυπατα λαμπες να δουμε οταν θελει ποσα θες για να τις αλλαξεις

Εγω μαζι σου παντως

4  14 Oct 2011  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Guys you are in the English category! Lets respect this to help our international visitors!

5  14 Oct 2011  
  • jadis_boy

jadis_boy

ACA Member

wow
    sorry

6  14 Oct 2011  
  • audiopharaoh62

audiopharaoh62

Registered

Mikekan wrote:
    Introduction
    An output-transformerless (OTL) amplifier has to vex some audiophiles and engineers alike those who cling desperately to the notion that there is a single unerring "proper" way to design an audio amplifier. On the one hand there is the dictum that fewer parts are best for sound, and that must go double when it comes to eliminating a component as dominating as the output transformer. On the other hand is the notion that the output transformer is of absolute primacy akin to wheels on a car. Without it, there is nothing smoothing out the amplifier's impedance and making the mating of amp and speaker possible.
    Conclusion
    Early on in this review, I discussed my personal list of the very best amplifiers I've heard, reiterating the diversity of amplifier technology in the process. To get specific, I'd choose two solid-state amps (the Ayre MX-R and Luxman B-1000f monoblocks) and three tube amps (the Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 stereo amp, the Lamm ML3 monoblocks and the subject of this review). These represent a cross-section of amplifier technology: high-power solid state, high-power tubes, single-ended tubes and output transformerless. I didn't assemble this particular list in order to prove my egalitarianism; I simply collected the five amps I've heard and admired most. I could have expanded it to ten amps, but that would only cloud the issue by sending the message that "best" is a more elusive goal.
    Keeping the notion of "best" in mind, let's say that I don't have the luxury of picking five amps. I have to choose just one -- the amp that will be the conduit through which all of my music, digital and analog, passes. Which will it be? Solid-state or tubes? Push-pull or single ended?
    Give me OTL in the form of the MA-2 Mk 3.1s, and I'll live musically ever after.
    Source & Complete Review: theaudiobeat

Hi Mike, I had the pleasure of owning an Atmasphere S-30MKIII a couple of years ago. Unfortunately it wasn't a good match with 2 Tannoy Prestige loudspeakers I had at the time. I eventually sold it to a friend of mine who had an Avantgarde Duo Grosso. They were a match made in heaven, as they say! Eventually I found out that I needed to have the M-60 Monoblocks to be able to get a good synergy. This was because the S-30 wasn't happy handling some of the impedance drops of the Tannoys. The M-60's with their bigger power supply would have done the job.

The S-30 was still one of the best tube amplifiers I have ever heard (and owned)

7  22 Oct 2011  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

OTLs definitely have a certain kind of magic in their sound! I used to own the Graaf Modena monoblocks. Truly excellent amplifiers as well but not as reliable as the atmasphere regarding their build quality so I had to give the, away!

8  22 Oct 2011  
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved