Equalization curve and polarity, by Mr. Dionisis Plarinos

• Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Mr.//Dionisis Plarinos// is doing a research on Equalization Curves and Polarity in recordings and would like your input on the following:

To the vinyl guild

An issue on “equalization and polarity”.

It is a well-known fact that until the mid 50's (1954) almost every different recording label had its own “equalization curve” and inverted polarity. From that time on, RIAA became the standard EQ (equalization) curve for every label, with RCA being the leader in this application.

However, many recording companies, especially the ones based in Europe, were reluctant to conform to the RIAA standard and continued using their own EQ version well into the early and mid 1970's.
    One of the main reasons being the enormous cost needed to replace their highly expensive equipment and/or the risk of jeopardizing the sonic signature of the mastering engineer or- even to a greater extend- of the recording label.

My question is, what happens during modern remastering/reissue of such non-RIAA recording labels. Does todayʼs engineer have a method to detect the actual “EQ curve” and "phase" of the recording and in sequence to apply corrections necessary for “RIAA curve” and proper "phase/polarity" when the master lacquer is cut?

This is important information for someone having a vintage LP collection and also considering investing in a high quality phono stage. We are all aware that most high-end phono stages out there are designed with RIAA EQ de-emphasis only and very few manufacturers offer the option of multiple EQ curves together with a polarity switch.

Listening to many early recordings, one can really hear the difference when proper equalization and polarity is selected, especially in the upper octaves of the treble area.

Since there is a lot of controversy and inconclusive data on the subject, your based on fact comments are mostly welcomed and certainly appreciated.

Regards,

Dionysios Plarinos (ACA member)

1  19 Nov 2010  
  • protos

protos

ACA Member

I am not an expert but I know there are many digital programs that can assess the freq response and phase of a musical program.I guess then it is a matter of "art"-that is the ability of the engineer to apply what he thinks is the best fit for equalizing certain recordings.Of course some pre-riaa equalizations used by big companies like Columbia have been documented and so are known.

2  19 Nov 2010  
  • plarinos

plarinos

Registered

thanks protos

how does someone get access to such documented information? so far I find it impossible to retrieve such special information coming from any recording company.
    Another method will be to contact and have a discussion on the issue with one of the engineers of that time. Good luck...
    Stan Ricker-a highly respected mastering engineer- is using an oscilloscope to detect polarity and equalization curve. As a result, all of his remastering/ re-issue work is compatible with the RIAA curve and normal polarity. I suppose other engineers have a similar if not the same method.
    Please keep posting any relative information on the subject.

regards
    Dionysios

3  21 Nov 2010  
  • plarinos

plarinos

Registered

To the vinyl guild

Just managed to locate the following site on the history and application of equalization curves.

please log on to: link

Dionysios

4  22 Nov 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Jesus, it's going to take me a week to understand what I just saw on that page. But its worth it...

Good find.

5  22 Nov 2010  
  • plarinos

plarinos

Registered

here's another presentation on the RIAA curve

link

6  23 Nov 2010  
  • protos

protos

ACA Member

You never told us why you are doing this research.Do you have many old LP's?

7  3 Dec 2010  
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved