Kino****a Monitors by Rey Audio

• Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Currently I find myself at Bop Rec Studios where I am assisting in some maintenance to audio equipment at the establishment. I feel the need to share this with the members here...

It is difficult to describe audio equipments sound... its difficult to explain the sound from the Kino****a Monitors here at BOP Rec.

I feel I want to use the description "its like wearing huge headphones". There is no concentrated sweet-spot. Stereo imaging is superb around the room. Bass goes down very low and highs are soaring. SPL drive and headroom is insanely vast. They NEVER run out of breath. By the time they do you being in that room will most surely go deaf. The superb sound is achieved in conjunction with the Tom Hidley designed room(s). Just below the monitors there is a huge bass-trap that goes down at least 1 meter into the floor, lined with glass-fiber. Monitors are mounted flush with the cabinets part of the front-wall construction. No, you wont be able to remove the speakers as a whole - they are fixed.

Amplifiers are located just behind each speaker in a dedicated, A/C-ed room with the cross-overs and all connected with high current VDH cable.

This is the ultimate in sound. No speaker I have ever listened to sounds as good as this. Not even electrostats.

The Kino****a monitors uses Technical Audio Devices (TAD for short) LF drivers and HF horn systems. The cabinets are ported. Cross-overs are 2nd order type with efficiency adjustment on the HF section as well as roll-off adjustment.

The Infra-Sonic system in each room is constructed of four 15 inch TAD woofers which is driven by a single 450 watt FM Acoustics amplifier. Cables to the speakers are, and dont laugh, "premium" welding cable! Filter is an active device supplied by Kino****a.

Any anomalies in a recording are laid bare by these loudspeakers. And that is the objective by using them in the control rooms. The audio engineer needs to be aware of all sonic "events" happening in the studio.

Spatial "information" like the sound of the crowd in a live recording is relayed correctly. You dont need surround sound with these. They project the stereo signal so well that you are immersed in a panoramic sound scape.

There is not the tiniest hint of the mf/hf horn sounding "honky".

Verdict? I woudnt mind a set of these at home. But then you also need the room, as designed by Tom Hidley. This shows that there is a solid link between room and loudspeaker. You cant expect a loudspeaker to sound good in any room.

Funny thing is that the guys who engineered the studio and equipment doesn't worry about mounting everything on spikes, or having the cables suspended on ceramic pucks, or exotic power cables (although I must mention that the amplifiers are fed by 13 Amp lines via industrial power connectors). I am not dishing these audiophile devices but the focus are on more important matters like an amplifier capable of full power over a wide bandwidth, efficient and high resolution loudspeakers.

More on the product here: link

*//This is not a product endorsement. I am not affiliated with Rey Audio in any way whatsoever. //

1  18 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Sound like we have to hear this work...of art..

How much, including the shipping of course to Greece?

2  18 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Tony... then we have to ship the whole studio... lol! Kino****a is based in Japan.

3  18 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

"Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon..." Anonymous

Find a way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4  18 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

The speakers in Studio 3 are driven by 1000 watt Van den Hul amps and the set in Studio 2 are driven by 500 watt Manley Reference 500 tube amplifiers - two per speaker.

5  18 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

link

For you Dew!

6  18 Mar 2010  
  • gherop

gherop

ACA Member

Yes, I have seen something like this (USHER D2, TAD 4001 and 2 woofers 15', 98 db sensitivity), please correct me if I am wrong, in the house of George Heropoulos. I think they play better than KINO 's studio...

7  19 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

The USHERs better than the studio Kinos? I doubt... 50% is the room... and the room treatment in the studios are superb.

8  21 Mar 2010  
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved