Headphone Amplifiers

• Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

How many members here listen to music on headphones occasionally?

Since I am traveling and not at home I have my trusty AKG K240 Head Monitors with me to listen to (heaven forbid) MP3s via Apple iTunes on the PC. On occasion I use my NAD 3020 to drive the headphones. I am thinking of building myself a dedicated tube-based headphone amplifier in the near future to get the best from the PC Audio.

I would like to hear from members what headphone amplifiers they use and enjoy (as well as the phones themselves).

I love the AKG K240 phones for their lush sound and comfortable fit. I also have AKG K141s at home.

1  9 Mar 2010  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Never ever, I think I havent listened any music through head phones for the past 5-6 years, maybe a bit when I am travelling where I need mobility...;)

I think it can an awesome experience though, if done right...

2  9 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Mike, due to the circumstances (me being away from home and my audio system) I need to distract myself from the daily grind and that is through listening to the music I like. The most convenient method is via headphones.

Let me tell you, these AKGs are awesome. I sometimes find myself taking them off thinking I heard a noise from "outside" when it is actually on the recording (like a whisper or clanging noise).

I must add that I hate In-Ear monitors or ear-bud headphones. Those are dreadful.

3  9 Mar 2010  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

I dont disagree, now at my new job I will have to travel quite a bit and I will seriously consider getting some nice headphones! Yes, I hate ear-buds as well!

4  9 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Unfortunately large headphones (like my AKGs that is 600 ohms) doesnt work well with portable devices such as an iPod - it needs a decent amplifier do be driven with some headroom.

There are other nice large headphones on the market that is probably more sensitive.

5  9 Mar 2010  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

What would you recommend for connection with portable devices? Max 200E!

6  9 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

For connection I would think that one needs a portable amplifier as well. A Cmoy type headphone amp would be suitable.

7  10 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Stax....that was and will always be the headphone for me. Everything else is just another headphone with a wish it was branded Stax!

8  10 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Yeah... Stax is best but it is not what I would call "very portable"...

9  10 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Neither r planes until you turn them on!!

10  10 Mar 2010  
  • themiloc

themiloc

Registered

Dewald V wrote:
    Unfortunately large headphones (like my AKGs that is 600 ohms) doesnt work well with portable devices such as an iPod - it needs a decent amplifier do be driven with some headroom.
    There are other nice large headphones on the market that is probably more sensitive.

Therte are almost the same AKGs in character and quality with 50Ohm impedance and more sensitive. They do not request strong amps.
    link

11  12 Mar 2010  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Welcome Themi!

12  12 Mar 2010  

page 1/2 rows 12/13 first page  previous page  goto page...  next page  last page 
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved