Mcintosh MEN220 Room Correction System

• Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

Hi, there...this is my first discussion topic here for a Mcintosh men220 room correction system which just been arrived to my door. can't wait any longer to set it up for the holiday season.

Does anyone actually own one or anything that you would likely to share with me or any future owner. Have not been hooked up to my system, Just want to gather pieces of idea hence to fine tune my listening room with such wonderful gear. Thanks all ! Happy holidays!!

Pat

1  19 Dec 2011  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

That is a piece of equipment that anyone who is serious about audio should own!

We have quite a few members that have have actually measured their room and applied acoustic treatment, using for example the XTZ Analyzer and other related equipment!

Please share your impressions as soon as you hook it up!

Have fun with your new toy!

2  20 Dec 2011  
  • Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

Mikekan wrote:
    That is a piece of equipment that anyone who is serious about audio should own!
    We have quite a few members that have have actually measured their room and applied acoustic treatment, using for example the XTZ Analyzer and other related equipment!
    Please share your impressions as soon as you hook it up!
    Have fun with your new toy!

I am just too serious about setting up my listening room with correct sonic effect in term of in room frequency response and timing delay acoustically. Even without adding the men220 at the moment, I found out that my current system has already been reached to my need for pin-pointing instruments placement and step out vocal image ( use of MartinLogan CLSiia ). However the ESLs just leak of punch and feel of air flow like those conventional speakers with woofers. Therefore by adding pair of Sub Bass units, I just hope this men220 will do the help to calibrate and solve the timing and integration problem as well as obtaining correct frequency response between the Subs and ESLs. I am lucky enough to get a lend of a XTZ from one member, but have yet done anything with that. Let see what I come up with the tweak during the holidays. Will share with anyone who like reading my post. Cheers!!

3  20 Dec 2011  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Pleae share your impressions Patrick!

Is this the device you are using?

link

You could also make a presentation of your system if you find some time!

4  21 Dec 2011  
  • vet

vet

Registered

wow! many interesting points for discussion.
    first of all great speakers! CLSiia...
    I hope you have placed them 1.5 meters (5feet) from the front wall. It is the optimal distance in order to have 10ms of delay for the rear wave from the speaker to your ears. It will expand the soundstage and you will have a very 3d! image.
    The CLS are a bit difficult to measure because they are dipole speakers. The xtz is a great tool (I have one) but need careful "reading" of the results. Can you post a picture of your room/setup?
    Nikos
    (man220 is a great tool but you have to deal with other things first).

Mlfan2011 wrote:
    I am just too serious about setting up my listening room with correct sonic effect in term of in room frequency response and timing delay acoustically. Even without adding the men220 at the moment, I found out that my current system has already been reached to my need for pin-pointing instruments placement and step out voc al image ( use of MartinLogan CLSiia ). However the ESLs just leak of punch and feel of air flow like those conventional speakers with woofers. Therefore by adding pair of Sub Bass units, I just hope this men220 will do the help to calibrate and solve the timing and integration problem as well as obtaining correct frequency response between the Subs and ESLs. I am lucky enough to get a lend of a XTZ from one member, but have yet done anything with that. Let see what I come up with the tweak during the holidays. Will share with anyone who like reading my post. Cheers!!
    5  21 Dec 2011  
  • Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

vet wrote:
    wow! many interesting points for discussion.
    first of all great speakers! CLSiia...
    I hope you have placed them 1.5 meters (5feet) from the front wall. It is the optimal distance in order to have 10ms of delay for the rear wave from the speaker to your ears. It will expand the soundstage and you will have a very 3d! image.
    The CLS are a bit difficult to measure because they are dipole speakers. The xtz is a great tool (I have one) but need careful "reading" of the results. Can you post a picture of your room/setup?
    Nikos
    (man220 is a great tool but you have to deal with other things first).

Hello, Nikos..

Thanks for your kindly advices. In fact due to limited area, the CLS are placed about 0.7m from the front wall with sound treatment attached to the wall just right behind the panels. Distance between the centre panels of 2 speaker is 2.2m, distance from listener sweet spot both are 3.5m. My listening room is about w5m x d5m x h2.5m. Have not hooked up to anything yet for testing. But will share the result with you guys once finish.

I am not sure if I can post any pictures yet, but sure like to, please advice how to do if allow posting pictures.

I also like to be a member if there is minimium requirement to begin with. thanks for your reply.

Patrick

6  22 Dec 2011  
  • Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

Mikekan wrote:
    Pleae share your impressions Patrick!
    Is this the device you are using?
    link
    You could also make a presentation of your system if you find some time!

Yeah..this is the one I just received, but have not yet hooked up. too much stuffs going on my business before holidays started till x'mas and new year. Planning to finish up whole system testing and setup before end of year, hopefully...
    Cheers,
    Patrick, San Francisco, CA

7  22 Dec 2011  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Hi Patrick!

Regarding your picture request, you need to normally upload them in www.photobucket.com and then right click on the picture to copy the link's URL and then paste it in the text field that will appear after pressing the image button when posting a reply here in the forum!

There is actually no requirement for the members to entry the club except love for music a decent system (that you have)! I am sure that the board members will not be a problem!

In case you have any difficulties with the pictures do not hesitate to contact me!

mike

8  22 Dec 2011  
  • Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

Mikekan wrote:
    Hi Patrick!
    Regarding your picture request, you need to normally upload them in www.photobucket.com and then right click on the picture to copy the link's URL and then paste it in the text field that will appear after pressing the image button when posting a reply here in the forum!
    There is actually no requirement for the members to entry the club except love for music a decent system (that you have)! I am sure that the board members will not be a problem!
    In case you have any difficulties with the pictures do not hesitate to contact me!
    mike

Hi, Mike...

Thanks for your instruction about posting pictures. Here is one snapshot of my system.(done with Photobucket). Mainly consisting of 2ch digital sources through Sonos, Music server and CD direct. Have some thoughts adding a MT-10 for vinyl in near future.

Kyriakos sent me a message about membership. Thank you for passing my words.

Patrick

9  23 Dec 2011  
  • Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

Mlfan2011 wrote:
    Hi, Mike...
    Thanks for your instruction about posting pictures. Here is one snapshot of my system.(done with Photobucket). Mainly consisting of 2ch digital sources through Sonos, Music server and CD direct. Have some thoughts adding a MT-10 for vinyl in near future.
    Kyriakos sent me a message about membership. Thank you for passing my words.
    Patrick

Here is the bigger file to have better look.

10  23 Dec 2011  
  • vet

vet

Registered

I love your mcintosh/ML combination..
    I know that is difficult, but you have to try to take the speakers out at least 1 meter from the wall (3feet). You will be amazed...
    Usually behind the ML speakers diffusion helps more (creates a big image in smaller places).
    The 5x5x2.5m dimensions of your room are a nightmare.
    The MAN will work hard...
    Keep trying and post here...
    Nikos

11  23 Dec 2011  
  • Mlfan2011

Mlfan2011

Registered

vet wrote:
    I love your mcintosh/ML combination..
    I know that is difficult, but you have to try to take the speakers out at least 1 meter from the wall (3feet). You will be amazed...
    Usually behind the ML speakers diffusion helps more (creates a big image in smaller places).
    The 5x5x2.5m dimensions of your room are a nightmare.
    The MAN will work hard...
    Keep trying and post here...
    Nikos

Hi, Nikos.. I will try moving the speakers bit toward me from the wall. What I really want is to eliminate room modes(2-Sub bass units added to the ESLs), unwanted resonance, shortening reverb effect and obtain better frequency response. In fact my current system (without adding the men220) has been giving me the best overall soundstage and center image after gone through many tweaks and auditions by friends and I. However I just never stop pursuing for even better 3D soundstage. Just hoping this men220 helps setting up to a point that I like. More pictures of whole system will be posted and presentated once setup is done. Your time and suggestions certainly be appreciated. Cheers!!

Patrick

12  23 Dec 2011  

page 1/2 rows 12/19 first page  previous page  goto page...  next page  last page 
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved