Hail Voigt! (#6)

• Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Trouble wrote:
    I don't know why I am asking you this Dewster but I am. What speakers are you comparing your new speakers with, to come to the last sentence conclusion you mentioned...and how are they different?

I'll gladly answer Tony. Okay... I rely on my "photographic memory" when it comes to sound. My references in that regard include: Kino****a monitors at BOP studios, B&W 603 SII, Spendor SP100R, Sonor Audio Lyra & Altair, QUAD 57 ESL, Martin Logan CLS II, Spendor S9e, KRK V8 monitors, Yamaha NS10 monitors, B&W P6 & 703.

Together with this I also tap into my sound memory of live instruments - the thump of a Sonor kickdrum, the twang of a Pearl snare, the shimmer of a Paiste cymbal. The timber of an Ibanez acoustic guitar, the heavely resonance of a Fazioli piano. Even the overtones of a ADL tube compressor that colors vocals so nicely!

It is difficult to describe Tony but I hope you get the idea.

61  1 Sep 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Okay, I got the idea...but I still want to know how low the response goes to? And the room size. What kind of tunes you listen to? Where does it excel in....etc..

Sorry for asking so much....its only pure high end curiosity which trigers the basal ganglia in my head!

62  1 Sep 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Trouble wrote:
    Okay, I got the idea...but I still want to know how low the response goes to? And the room size. What kind of tunes you listen to? Where does it excel in....etc..
    Sorry for asking so much....its only pure high end curiosity which trigers the basal ganglia in my head!

Response goes down to around 35 Hz. Room size is around 4 x 5 meters with a 2.4 m high ceiling.

Discs I use include:

John Mayer - Continuum
    Norah Jones - Feels like home
    Sibongile Khumalo - Ancient Evenings
    Beatles - Abbey Road
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Tears for fears - Hits
    Diana Krall - Girl in the other room, When I look in your eyes
    Ryan Adams - Gold
    White Stripes - Elephant
    Carpenters - Gold
    Andre Rieu - Live in Australia
    Dire Straits - Love over gold, Brothers in Arms
    DNA Strings - El Nino
    Fourplay - Between the sheets, Elixer
    Jack Johnson - In between dreams
    Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter, Famous Blue Raincoat
    Lady Antebellum - Need you now
    Toto - Best of (I'll be over you etc)
    Pink Floyd - Echoes

The speakers perform remarkably well with all these recordings but 'heavy metal' tends to be a bit harsh. Smooth jazz shine on them!

63  1 Sep 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

And last question.....room acoustics? What is the source, front end of the system? How far away do u sit from them? How far from the wall are they? What's the furniture? What electricity do u have? Any upgrades?

64  1 Sep 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Trouble wrote:
    And last question.....room acoustics? What is the source, front end of the system? How far away do u sit from them? How far from the wall are they? What's the furniture? What electricity do u have? Any upgrades?

Room acoustics are fairly dead as there is lots of soft furnishing.

Source: Marantz CD-65DX - slightly modded by myself.
    Source: Technics SP-10 mkII motor + Rega RB300 + Dynavector Karat MC + E.A.R 834P Signature (with Mullard, GE and Matsu****a tubes).

Electricity is a dedicated line from the breaker box. Nothing exotic.

They stand about 400 mm from the rear walls and about 1 meter from each side wall. Slightly toed in. Drivers sit slightly higher from the floor than with normal speakers.

65  1 Sep 2010  
  • Desire

Desire

Registered

Dew, this is Tony. I changed my name and position but its the same guy behind the keyboard.

How you doing now that things are slowly running in? Has the change in the weather change anything tonally?

66  10 Oct 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Desire wrote:
    Dew, this is Tony. I changed my name and position but its the same guy behind the keyboard.
    How you doing now that things are slowly running in? Has the change in the weather change anything tonally?

Tony! As always...

The speakers are sounding much better now. With summer's dawn the air is very hot and dry. No proper rain yet.
    I just love the open, airy sound of the Zaubers. Its devine. ... and not to speak about the huge sound-stage. I get sucked in... hypnotized in a way I guess.

Everybody that listens to the speakers immediately comment on their open, clear presentation - they are also marveled that the small drivers are capable of such deep bass.

I really do enjoy them. Just need to get that damn SET amp finished...

67  10 Oct 2010  
  • Desire

Desire

Registered

Good luck dewsters, and keep us posted on those magical moments...

68  11 Oct 2010  
  • kyriakos

kyriakos

Administrator

Dew, I missed you...

69  11 Oct 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Guest wrote:
    Dew, I missed you...

Christos! I also missed you! How do you like my new speakers?

70  11 Oct 2010  
  • kyriakos

kyriakos

Administrator

I think what you've done is an incredible job, paying attention to the most essential points of the speaker!

I love their design simplicity and from their configuration of the drivers, I suppose the strongest point of the speakers should be pin point imaging, accuracy and neutrality!

Possibly in the future, a sub could be incorporated to the system...

PS: "I've never heard of them"...

71  11 Oct 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Guest wrote:
    I think what you've done is an incredible job, paying attention to the most essential points of the speaker!
    I love their design simplicity and from their configuration of the drivers, I suppose the strongest point of the speakers should be pin point imaging, accuracy and neutrality!
    Possibly in the future, a sub could be incorporated to the system...
    PS: "I've never heard of them"...

Thank you. Yes, the minimalist approach in the filter network affords superb transparency - the best capacitor is NO capacitor.

Like I have mentioned here before - the sound-stage is simply marvelous. It has got depth and height and the performance is very "tangible".

The future additions will include two 18" LF reinforcement units.

72  11 Oct 2010  

page 6/7 rows 12/84 first page  previous page  goto page...  next page  last page 
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved