ACA Member

GREAT WORK! How's the sound?

51  2 Aug 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Trouble wrote:
    GREAT WORK! How's the sound?

I am still forming an opinion... they do however sound pretty amazing for a start.

52  3 Aug 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

Well, now thats winter in your part of the world, you have time to listen carefully. My memory reminds me of the sound as filling and sweet. Especially when pushed by bulbs, and good ones at that. are you going to go single triad or class a simple. What have you heard them with up to now?

I am sure they must sound great..

What size room are we talking about?

53  3 Aug 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Trouble wrote:
    Well, now thats winter in your part of the world, you have time to listen carefully. My memory reminds me of the sound as filling and sweet. Especially when pushed by bulbs, and good ones at that. are you going to go single triad or class a simple. What have you heard them with up to now?
    I am sure they must sound great..
    What size room are we talking about?

Time in winter? Not really since our winters is not as cold as that in Europe. We always work work work... year round.

I am planning to partner them with that SET 6C33C amp I am working on for the past 2 years now. As I am typing this I am working on the amps chassis designs.

Currently driving them with my Kenwood KA-5750 solid-state amplifier. Not ideal but thats the only functioning amp I currently have. All the "bulb" amps are in pieces waiting to be built/re-built.

54  3 Aug 2010  
  • protos

protos

ACA Member

6c33 is good .I am quite happy with the one I made although I am using the super modded 300b type integrated.Sound is very good with both but the 6c33 was planned with a preamp and the integrated 300b is more convenient.Driver for the 6c33 has been 6c45, 6n30 but in the end I just love the 6sn7 or I just design it better who knows.

55  4 Aug 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

protos wrote:
    6c33 is good .I am quite happy with the one I made although I am using the super modded 300b type integrated.Sound is very good with both but the 6c33 was planned with a preamp and the integrated 300b is more convenient.Driver for the 6c33 has been 6c45, 6n30 but in the end I just love the 6sn7 or I just design it better who knows.

The 6C33C I am working on uses a 6H30Pi-FR as input/driver. Sounds marvelous!

56  4 Aug 2010  
  • protos

protos

ACA Member

what V and A are you running on the 6c33?

57  7 Aug 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

protos wrote:
    what V and A are you running on the 6c33?

~ 240 VDC on the anode & biased at 200 mA - OTP is a Hammond 1640SE, 1250 Ohm (per channel)

58  7 Aug 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

A short summary of how they sound:

The first thing that struck me (and consequently others) was the speakers ability to relay fine detail. This is probably due to the minimalist/capacitor-less cross-over and small driver (fast response).
    Bass is really impressive for such a small driver. Kick-drums and double bass instruments does not get left out and their sound reproduced with good authority. The addition of the very high crossed tweeter adds sparkle to the full range driver's repertoire. The overall system tends to exhibit a slight peak at around 2.5 - 3 kHz but does not impair their ability to entertain. Sound-stage is very impressive and has a good tangibility to it. The huge sound-stage enables me to experience the music to be "larger-than-life" which is quite euphoric. The speakers sound much bigger than their radiating area size would suggest. I am very happy with how the speakers turned out. They compare well with other speakers I have used in the past.

59  1 Sep 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

I don't know why I am asking you this Dewster but I am. What speakers are you comparing your new speakers with, to come to the last sentence conclusion you mentioned...and how are they different?

60  1 Sep 2010  

page 5/7 rows 12/84 first page  previous page  goto page...  next page  last page 
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved