DIY Silver Interconnects - Quick and Easy

• Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Here is a quick and easy DIY project for the audio enthusiast...

Custom silver SE interconnects

**Supplies:**

[LIST=1]
    [*]4x Quality RCA Plugs (Neutrik, WTB, Furutech)
    [*]5 meter drawn silver wire (from your local gold smith)
    [*]2 meter teflon tube with an OD of ~2 mm
    [*]2 meter teflon tube with an OD of ~6 mm
    [*]5 meter Megamide/Nylon braided sleeve with an OD of ~8 mm
    [*]1 meter heat shrinkable tube with an OD of ~8 mm
    [*]Silver solder
    [*]Necessary tools (soldering iron, side-cutters, heat gun, etc)
    [/LIST]

**Procedure:**

[LIST=1]
    [*]Cut two pieces of silver wire of 1 meter as well as two pieces of teflon tubing. Thread wire through teflon tubing.

[*]Divide the remaining 3 meter silver wire in two lengths of 1.5 meter each. Take a piece and wrap it around the first tube with the straight piece of silver wire. Spread the spiral evenly along the length of the inner teflon tube.

[*]Thread the assembly through the ~6 mm teflon tubing (which should be cut to 1 meter lengths each). It will be tricky but a steady hand a patients would do it.

[*]Cut four pieces of 250 mm heatshink tube.

[*]Using a hot soldering iron cut two pieces of 1 meter nylon braid sleeve. Thread the "cable construction" through the braid sleeve.

[*]Slip two pieces of 250 mm heatshrink over each cable assembly.

[*]Solder straight conductor to RCA center pin and spiral conductor to the ground point. Remember to slip over the RCA barrel overs it the attach from the rear of the assembly.

[*]Slip the heatshrink over the assembly inside the RCA unit with some protruding at the rear and secure with heat (using a heat gun)

[*]Close up the RCAs with the supplied barrels and enjoy your new DIY silver cable!
    [/LIST]

The spiral assembly can be substituted for a conventional "twisted pair configuration".

1  3 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

DEEWEEEE welcome back bro..

It has been some time...but we r back and we r loaded!!

So we can grow all we want. Girth included!!!! Write me a pm and we can blog or chat.

Sweet to see you with us again...really!

And keep posting!

2  3 Mar 2010  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Dew how does such a cable sound in your system? What is it's character?

3  3 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

I presume ADMIN is Tony...! Hey Tony!! Thank you for the welcome!

4  4 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Mike. The cable has quite a neutral character and is a great way of getting good interconnects for not too much money.

5  4 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

The teflon tubes can be substituted with 100% cotton braided sleeving. (This is scarce but shop around)

6  7 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

I agree that the cotton would change the sound as experiments I have seen others do. Wax is also an even better thought to ponder over. What do you thunk Dew?

7  7 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Wax is a tricky one... how about glass beads?

8  7 Mar 2010  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

I have also heard that using cotton is probably the best easy-to-make dielectric.

Good silver cables are great!

9  8 Mar 2010  
  • Trouble

Trouble

ACA Member

When you think about it, how hard can a silver wre NOT be good Mike?

10  13 Mar 2010  
  • Manos_Bits

Manos_Bits

Chairman Administrator

I have to mention some critical points with this construction...

- The two (2) lengths (+ and -) of the conductors in a serious cable MUST BE EXACTLY EQUALS... In the above construction the negative route is 50% plus the positive...

- If the negative (shield) conductor will be twisted ONE WAY(let's say clockwise), when the cable load will act as a coil and squelch the signal...

- Twisted Pair is a pair of equal length conductors twisted in equal lengths with equally opposite angles...

Friendly...... Manos

11  22 Mar 2010  
  • Dewald V

Dewald V

Registered

Manos_Bits wrote:
    I have to mention some critical points with this construction...
    - The two (2) lengths (+ and -) of the conductors in a serious cable MUST BE EXACTLY EQUALS... In the above construction the negative route is 50% plus the positive...
    - If the negative (shield) conductor will be twisted ONE WAY(let's say clockwise), when the cable load will act as a coil and squelch the signal...
    - Twisted Pair is a pair of equal length conductors twisted in equal lengths with equally opposite angles...
    Friendly...... Manos

Manos if your statement was true then cable such as the Anti-Cable ICs would not have worked. I have tried the construction and it works perfectly well.

Twisted pair speaks for itself.

Cable such as the Nordost Blue Heaven I use doesn't even have a EMI rejection construction. It is simply straight strands of silver plated copper ribbons adjacent each other.

12  22 Mar 2010  

page 1/3 rows 12/28 first page  previous page  goto page...  next page  last page 
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved