Corner-horn speaker SOTA

• Lothar

Lothar

Registered

35 years ago I decided to built my own “ultimate” loudspeaker, because the buyable systems did not fit to my ideas and in the end to my money back. So I began the adventure of building a true copy of the legendary Klipschorn by using an original Klipsch-bass.

The result is still playing since 35 years in our living room.

After several changes of the crossover network, the tweeter and the mid range-horn-drivers, I’m now accomplishing the most important modification.

Last month I began to mount a 72 cm spherical-wave-horn sold by the German “horn-god” Günter Damde (Art of Sound / Saarbrücken). Currently I am trying out how to adjust my old Klipsch bass, which is working perfectly fine, to the new spherical-wave-horn.

The High-End crossover network build by Günter Damde with very expensive MUNDORF supreme caps works very well too.

But Mr. Damde is still optimizing this important part of the speaker-system. So I will tell you more in a few weeks. Meanwhile I will at long last test the plinth stabilizer with my Micro Seiki turntable (posted also at the DIY forum month ago RW-1500 Plinth Stabilizer).

1  15 Jul 2012  
  • Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

Nice stuff my friend... thank you for sharing this nice projects with us

2  16 Jul 2012  
  • Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

I'm waiting the results of the stabilizer...

3  16 Jul 2012  
  • Mikekan

Mikekan

ACA Member

Excellent construction! So how does it sound compared to todays products?

4  18 Jul 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

The only old part of the system is the 15” Klipsch bass driver in its scuff proofed cabinet. Several times I thought, I have to change the bass and mount a new faster type. But any time I heard that typical “soft” Klipsch pressure bass I suspected to lose something, when I will change the driver. So I’m still playing the good old one.

The spherical-wave-horn with its coaxial driver (two in one) for high and middle frequencies behave like an acoustic source spot. I’m still testing to find out the ideal alignment of the spherical-wave-horn related to the sitting positions of one or three hearers. In the so called “sweet point” you have the effect of an oversized headphone.

Today I can confirm: it’s a great, powerful and extreme detailed sound. You can play VERY loud or suitable for family. Always it’s extraordinary. I will tell you more about that after changing the crossover network.

5  19 Jul 2012  
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved