Micro Seiki RX 1500 - RW-1500 Plinth Stabilizer (#2)

• Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

Yes this is correct the RX 1500G has stronger springs since the platter is way heavier than the D model.

My turntable is the model FG with the strong springs so I had no problem with the 8 Kg.

A good friend that uses the D model like yours has a 8 Kg RW-1500 dead weight made for his table and the results are super.

The spring still has a lot of space to work and the sound is fine. But as you are saying the 5 Kg dead weight make sense.
    I don’t know what will work best but I think the 5 Kg will be just fine in your case.

13  15 Feb 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

Toptubes wrote:
    Yes this is correct the RX 1500G has stronger springs since the platter is way heavier than the D model.
    My turntable is the model FG with the strong springs so I had no problem with the 8 Kg.
    A good friend that uses the D model like yours has a 8 Kg RW-1500 dead weight made for his table and the results are super.
    The spring still has a lot of space to work and the sound is fine. But as you are saying the 5 Kg dead weight make sense.
    I don’t know what will work best but I think the 5 Kg will be just fine in your case.

So I will try it and tell you how it sounds. Story will be continued!

14  16 Feb 2012  
  • Nilau

Nilau

Registered

Lothar wrote:
    Hi Kyriakos,
    nice to meet you here! You wrote that you had used the original dimensions and the original weight of the so called stabilizer. Therefore I ask Nicole Abbassi from the German my-micro.de site. She told me that the spring system of the original feet from the 1500D series is not designed to bear such weight. The 1500G Version had a much stronger spring system. So she reasoned that the 8kg additional weight would bring the 1500 D to its knees. Although would it sound bad after the mounting of the additional weight. So I thought it over and had the “terrific” idea to compensate only the “missing” weight of the separated motor unit (5kg). But no one in the world wide web has done it before. Am I crazy? Or are the others not crazy enough?

Hello everybody!

As far as I can see, the 8 kilos of the RW-1500 should not pose a problem with the suspension/feet of the RX-1500D.
    Remember...the motor originally "hangs" on one side side of the turntable. So, if the turntable can cope with 5 kilos on one side - I'm sure it can handle 8 kilos distributed evenly beneath the turntable.
    I'm in the process of fabricating my 'own' RW-1500 (8 kilos) but it could be quite interesting to make one weighing a litte less...say 5 kilos. I'm sure the difference in weight will translate into some change in sound. Let's see...

Has someone tried the 5-kilo RW-1500 yet. If so...let's hear about your experience...

Regards
    Nilau
    Copenhagen, Denmark

15  1 Jun 2012  
  • Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

Hi there
    I never did the 5 kilos version but I did try one 7 kilos and the sound of it was just fine but just think that the 5 kilos one is 3 kilos less than the original one almost half of the mass.

16  1 Jun 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

Hi Nilau, hi Kyriakos!

here I’m back again to talk about my little project. Particularly for you Nilau: indeed there is someone who used a 5 kilogram version and he contended that it was an original part build by Micro Seiki. He did this when he offered his RX 1500 on an internet shopping-platform. I don’t know whether he was right, but it is indisputable that the 8 kilogram weight only was sold with the RX-1500 FVG, which carried an 10 kilogram bronze platter. The RW 1500 was not intended for use with the light aluminum platter.

So far the theory.

Otherwise it seems to make sense to increase the plinth weight up to the original weight, considering the lack of the 5 kilogram motor-unit.

Meanwhile I decided to build the dead weight from ordinary EN 1025 steel (density 7850 kg/m³). After measuring the plinth I used lightly different dimensions in comparison to Kyriakos one. So I will gain a 7,1 kilogram steel plate. This considers the “missing” motor-unit and additional the heavy brass mounting plate for my new SME 309 tone arm.

Today I received the rough machined steel plate taken from round bar steel. Now my son has to finish the weight on metal working lathe.

Remember at last: the only thing that counts is how it sounds!

Regards
    Lothar

17  19 Jun 2012  
  • Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

Hi Lothar... any news

18  24 Jun 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

Hi Kyriakos,

unfortunately I keep busy in job-related works and the stabilizer has to wait for one or two weeks more. So I can only show you a little preview.

…will be continued.

Regards
    Lothar

19  1 Jul 2012  
  • Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

Hi Lothar
    Very nice mechanical drawing with details.
    I would love to have it if you don’t mind.

20  2 Jul 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

Toptubes wrote:
    Hi Lothar
    Very nice mechanical drawing with details.
    I would love to have it if you don’t mind.

Hi Kyriakos,
    gladly I will send it by email.

21  2 Jul 2012  
  • Toptubes

Toptubes

ACA Member

Thanks my friend is realy nice of you

22  2 Jul 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

Hi friends,
    it took a long time to machine the iron plate, but now it’s ready. Before the necessary powder coating, I tried to mount the plate temporary to make sure that the bore holes are at the right place. I had to do that without removing the aluminum platter, because that thing seems irremovable after 30 years and I didn’t want to take the risk of damaging the bearing.

23  29 Jul 2012  
  • Lothar

Lothar

Registered

24  29 Jul 2012  

page 2/3 rows 12/32 first page  previous page  goto page...  next page  last page 
(C) ACA - All Rights Reserved